Updated: Jun 29, 2020
When I first started my natural hair journey, I have to admit it was purely for shallow reasons. I know…I know…Sounds bad, but I have to keep it all the way real. I wanted to have long flowing tresses and thought the only way to achieve this was to go natural. Oh was I so wrong..... But that wasn’t the only reason though. I had been struggle with my tresses from having it relaxed, wearing weaves & wigs, to coloring….you name it I’ve done it. I was simply fed up with over processing and breakage to my hair and I really needed a change.
When I first began my journey almost 7 years ago, I had no idea what to do or where to start. The market and beauty supply stores were not full of natural hair products like you see today, so I had to take my natural hair journey by the horns and ride it all the way out. Basically, I had to figured things out and go through a lot of trial and error to see what works.
If you’re at crossroads and want to take the leap in starting your own natural hair journey, GO FOR IT!!! You have nothing to lose but dead and over processed ends. For new naturals, you have a plethora of resources and products at your fingertips. The natural hair industry has flourished and more women are embracing the hair that grows from their crown.
Sis, No worries....I got you. Here are some tips on helping you get started on your natural hair journey,
5 Tips for Getting Started on your Natural Hair Journey
1. Just Do it – I know it sounds easier said than done but you have to start to get started. Don’t think about it or overthink it. It’ll be fine and you’ll enjoy discovering what you hair loves!
2. Create a Natural Hair Routine/Regimen – Create a routine that works with your schedule. Whether it’s washing & conditioning your hair every week or opting for a protective style. Just come up with what works for you. There's no one way to do this natural hair thing. Get creative and go for it!
3. Join a support group – If you’re apart of the social media bubble then you know about Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. Start following influencers that lend encourage words and tips for natural hair and join natural hair support groups. Follow me at my Instagram page Chances are, there’s someone just like you starting out and you can learn from their experience. Ask questions in the support groups and comment on post. Trust me, you’ll find a lot of great support using social media.
4. Watch YouTube - Yup!!! You heard me. You’re already watching it anyway so use the search engine to your advantage. Not sure on what you need for your hair, find it on YouTube. I guarantee there will be a ton of resources and the bonus is, you’ll get to watch people go thru the process. Check out my YouTube Channel too. I have tons of tips you can use as well!
5. Love What Grows From your Head aka CROWN!!! – Every natural will have different set of curls and curl patterns. Love you hair as it is. What you think your hair will do, it may not. So just go with it and embrace your texture as it is. It is what makes you special and unique.